Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sun?Day & Cookie Pillows!

Yet another rainy morning here. I'm not complaining, though. I love the excuse to lounge around and be relaxed. I had planned on today being my rest day, anyways. Some of the storms that passed through today shot down some heavy rain. What did I do to relax? Took some photographs and read some Harry Potter :)






My favorite reading spot looked especially inviting this morning.



I found that the mess in the kitchen was kind of throwing off my relaxing groove so I did something completely strange and CLEANED!



Leftover dark chocolate PB :)

So because I was pretty much locked inside today, I decided I'd bake something delicious! Here's what happened. They were supposed to end up being snickerdoodle cookies but the final texture ended up tasting more muffin-like. I'm going to call them Cookie Pillows! I'm pretty sure the puffy texture is due to the fact that I used applesauce in the place of some of the butter and two egg whites in place of one whole egg.

Whole Wheat Snickerdoodle Cookie Pillows
- 3/4 C Applesauce + 2 T. softened butter (or 1/2 C butter)
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 2 egg whites (or one egg)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1.5 C Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 T. white sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Step 1) Cream applesauce, butter, and brown sugar until "fluffy" (Mine never reached the fluffy stage because of the applesauce but you'll know when you're done beating the mixture)


Add egg whites and vanilla; beat well


Add dry ingredients


Step 2) Drop 1" balls of dough onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar mixture onto balls.


Step 3) Bake @ 375 F for 10-13 minutes. Take out of oven once firm and let continue cooking on baking sheet. Remove cookies from baking sheet and let cool completely. Enjoy!


These cookies surprised me, for sure! Since they aren't super sweet, you could almost eat them for breakfast! (almost). They'd be delicious with some sliced apples, I think, or on their own with a nice glass of milk.




What did you do today?

What makes your favorite cookie the best cookie ever?

5 comments:

  1. Those look absolutely amazing! I really want to make those asap!

    Was the texture dense like a scone or was it airy?

    What kind of camera do you use? Your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and my favorite cookie is either peanut butter (for the flavor) or oatmeal raisin (for the texture)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, a muffin cookie sounds really good actually!

    The same thing happened with my oats. I wonder what I did wrong. I was kind of sad that they didn't turn out. I was so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow great pictures! I am buying a new camera this week, I hope I can take pictures like that (:

    Those cookies look so good... I love snickerdoodles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh I want those cookie pillows! Right now I am addictedd to Super-Charge Me cookies because I love adding different mix-ins each time :)

    ReplyDelete