Sunday, June 5, 2011

Catch up time!

Oofta! (hello, minnesotan) One day without posting and I already have so much to catch up on. 

Friday night I decided to forgo the awkwardness of going to the grad party -- for a kid of my parents' friends I barely know -- stay home, make myself a healthier dinner and watch a movie. Mari ended up coming to my lonesome rescue via twitter and we had a great time catching up with each other, talking about people, summer and life in general (definitely one of my favorite past times ;) and watching The King's Speech. It was the first time I saw the movie and I absolutely LOVED it. Everything. The acting, the cinematography, the costumes, the music -- it definitely deserved all the academy awards it received. 

For dinner I made myself some "Sweet Potato" fries that were actually made using a Yam. They turned out really sweet and not very crispy -- I got impatient as they were baking in the oven and took them out a little too soon, I think -- but were yummy nonetheless! I paired the fries with a toasted "caprise" sandwich (everything in quotation marks that night, I guess!) made with Swiss instead of mozz, sliced and seasoned tomatos, and fresh basil on two slices of sprouted wheat bread. I definitely only needed half a sandwich. I was so full after eating this! 



Saturday morning started out absolutely lovely. I knew I had to take advantage of the beautiful weather. I went for a quick run after breakfast (about 2.5 miles) and then met up with my friend Hilary at our high school's new tennis courts to hit some balls around! We ended up playing one game of singles which I (barely, hah!) lost. It was a perfect day for tennis and a perfect day to work on the shorts tan lines (yuck).

For breakfast I made myself another bowl of pb protein cereal like I did Friday Morning. I mixed a serving of the Mesa Sunrise cereal with about a teaspoon and a half of natural PB and a sprinkling of protein powder and ground flaxseed. Topped with sliced banana and strawberries, it made for a delicious and filling start to the day. (in almond milk, of course)


To rehydrate after the morning's activities (SWEATING LIKE A CRAZY PERSON) I blended one of my favorite green smoothie concoctions. 

2 handfuls of spinach + 1 sliced banana + 1/2 cup frozen berries + 1 cup Almond Milk + just under a scoopful of vanilla protein powder + 2 T. ground flaxseed + ice cubes to thicken



equals



with a slice of fresh watermelon on the side!


In between ravaging.. er, cleaning.. the house all day, I had time to whip myself up some lunch. I was in the mood for eggs for some reason (need protein?) so I decided to make a veggie scramble with some of the veggies laying around. I sauteed some sliced baby carrots in a skillet first, then added in one whole egg, half of a tomato (diced), about a half cup of cooked corn, and plenty of spinach. Scrambled it all up and seasoned it with S&P -- delish! I heated up some leftover "Sweet Potato" fries that were a little mushier this time around. I love dipping them in Kraft's Cucumber Ranch dressing. It's the perfect summery fresh flavor!


Before I ran off to the neighbors' house last night for a babysitting job, I ate something to fill me up so I didn't have to eat what the kids were going to eat: Pizza, plain noodles and fruit. I had the rest of my green smoothie, the rest of the "Sweet Potato" fries, and a peanut butter/raisin pita. After the kids went to bed (I'm always so guilty of this) I munched on some of the neighbors' food. Tried to keep it as healthy as possible since it was late-ish, around 9:30. I ended up eating some carrots, celery and cherry tomatos, 3 thin slices of cheese with 3 ritz crackers, and some cashews (and about 3 RedVines *facepalm*). Plus a can of Fresca that looked so gosh darn refreshing. 

Oh well. Could have been worse, I suppose. Bad habits from high school always creep back when I'm babysitting at night and sitting in front of the TV by myself.

This morning I woke up to chirping birds and sunshine at a happy 7:00, almost on the dot. I decided it was a perfect day to eat brekkie al fresco and enjoy the summery breeze on the porch. Best decision. 



Breakfast was two slices of toasted sprouted wheat bread, one with natural PB and sliced banana, the other with Dark Chocolate Dreams PB and sliced banana. Fresh strawberries and a cup of joe on the side. Perfection!

Today, my bestypoo and roommate at school, Caitlin is coming and staying until Wednesday. Among our plans for her stay is THE SCRIPT CONCERT that I'm so excited about. Today we're heading out to Mall of America (yay, Minnesota, haha) to meet up with Nia, one of our other roomies to shop our hearts out. Woot!


How do you like to enjoy nice weather in the summer?

What is your favorite thing to dip your potatoes/fries in?


5 comments:

  1. Yum! Especially loving the fries; they look delicious! I really love making my sweat potato fries in rounds, because I'm lazy, and sprinkled with a dash of cinnamon and salt, because it tastes amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post and all of your gorgeous pictures. My favorite is your recreation of the caprese sandwich. I've tried making sweet potato fries before and yes, it's so hard to be patient! I love them, though.

    Thanks so much for your sweet comment; it was very encouraging :) I'm loving all the support that the blog community gives! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. RedVines were a good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO bad when it comes to snacking when I babysit. Yesterday I was looking after this 4 year old girl, and ended up having a snack pack of Magic Pony gummies...just channeling my inner toddler I guess.

    I need to make your smoothie before I go next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's an amazing upscale coffeehouse near my school that serves sweet potato fries with "horsey" sauce - horseradish, mayo, and some secret spices. It sounds a little weird, but it's soooo good paired with fries!

    ReplyDelete